CLASSIFIED PERSONNEL REDUCTION Policy Code: 7921
The superintendent with prior board approval may terminate or reduce the term of employment of classified employees in order to reduce staff. In such circumstances, the following procedure will apply:
- The superintendent will first reduce staff through normal attrition.
- The superintendent will recommend reductions in force to the board based upon the following criteria:
- a. job performance as indicated on formal evaluations and other documentation;
- b. degrees, licenses or other indices of an employee’s potential to contribute and progress in the school district;
- c. seniority in the same or related positions within the district as a whole;
- d. other criteria determined to be relevant by the superintendent.
The superintendent will use his or her discretion in weighing these factors; however, proven job performance will be the most significant factor.
The board will approve, disapprove or modify the superintendent’s recommendation for reduction in force. All employees affected by the reduction will be notified in writing of the board’s decision. Such notice will include information regarding the opportunity for any employee terminated pursuant to this policy to submit his or her name for other positions as they become open. Such submission does not offer any guarantee of employment; however, a positive work experience with the school district will be favorably reviewed in regard to any application for employment.
Legal References: G.S. 115C-47
Adopted: May 19, 1997
Revised: July 9, 2007