TEACHERS SERVING MORE THAN ONE SCHOOL Policy Code: 7438
The board recognizes that to meet the needs of the students and the school district, it is sometimes necessary to assign teachers to more than one school. Such assignments require that personnel at various schools cooperate in the coordination of the use of these teachers in a manner that serves the best interest of the students in the school to which mobile teachers are assigned.
A. ASSIGNMENT, SCHEDULE AND SCHOOL DAY
The superintendent or designee will assign the schools to be served and the schedule of these services. Changes in the schedule for any reason, either temporary or permanent, must have the approval of the concerned principal and superintendent. The length of school day is the same for the itinerant teacher as is designated for the regular teacher in the schools where he/she is assigned.
Teachers will be reimbursed for travel on a per mile basis for travel between schools. The teacher pays expenses for travel to the first daily assignment. After that, any travel to another school will be subject to this reimbursement policy.
Should the teacher have to be absent, the following procedures are to be followed:
- On the morning of the absence (or earlier, if possible) the schools which are to be served that day are to be notified prior to the time the class is scheduled.
- The principal of the school to which the teacher is assigned for payroll purposes must be notified as soon as practical.
- Faculty Meetings
- Each teacher is expected to attend one faculty meeting per week, if one is held, in any of the schools to which that teacher is assigned. The teacher should make an effort to attend some faculty meetings in all assigned schools during the school year.
- Parent-Teacher Association
- The teacher is expected to attend the number of PTA meetings that regular teachers are expected to attend in his/her assigned area.
Legal References: G.S. 115C-36, -47, -301
Adopted: May 19, 1997
Revised: July 9, 2007