USE OF STUDENT TRANSPORTATION SERVICES Policy Code: 6320
Student transportation services will be made available in a manner consistent with the board goals set out in policy 6300, Goals of Student Transportation Services. The first priority is to provide transportation to and from school to eligible students.
A. OTHER TRANSPORTATION SERVICES
Other transportation services may be made available as funding permits and in accordance with legal requirements and board policy. In particular, the board establishes the following possible uses of other transportation services.
- State-operated school buses may be used for instructional programs directly related to the curriculum when the trip and use of the bus are approved in accordance with board policy.
- School buses may be used only for purposes expressly allowed by G.S. 115C-242.
- School buses may not be used for athletic activities or extracurricular activities.
- Activity buses and other vehicles meeting federal safety standards may be used for travel to athletic activities and travel to other approved school-related activities. In addition to students receiving regular school bus safety training, safety instruction will be provided to students traveling on activity buses or commercial buses as needed.
- The board encourages the superintendent and principals to provide transportation services to enable students at risk of not meeting promotion standards to take advantage of additional or enhanced opportunities for learning.
B. SPECIAL USE OF SCHOOL BUSES
The board may authorize special uses of school buses as provided by G.S. 115C-242 and 115C-243. The superintendent shall present to the board any requests for special uses and the statutory support for allowing such authorization.
C. TRANSPORTATION FOR SPECIAL NEEDS STUDENTS
A student who is identified as having special needs following procedures in the North Carolina Policies Governing Services for Children with Disabilities will be provided with transportation services as required by law. When the school system’s transportation services are unable to provide transportation for special needs students, the board may contract with public or private carriers to provide this service, pursuant to policy 6340, Transportation Service/Vehicle Contracts.
D. USE OF ACTIVITY BUSES BY NONPROFIT CORPORATIONS AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT UNITS
- Nonprofit corporations and local government units may use school activity buses only for activities involving the transportation of school-aged and preschool-aged children currently enrolled in the school system or who reside within the school district;
- Nonprofit corporations and local government units may use activity buses only for round-trip transportation to and from the property of the entity where the activities are held;
- Caretakers and instructors may also be transported, but only to and from the same activities to which the children are being transported;
- The requesting entity must furnish a certificate of insurance for automotive liability coverage with a total limit coverage of $2,000,000 for each claim made as well as documentation establishing that the bus driver (1) is licensed to operate the bus, (2) possesses adequate liability insurance, (3) has a good driving record, (4) DOT medical card (non Chatham County Schools employees only);
- The requesting entity must execute a lease agreement that includes a provision that the Board shall be indemnified and held harmless for any act or omission that occurs during the permitted use;
- Nonprofit corporations and local government units will be charged an outside rate of $2.25 per mile to cover mileage and maintenance.
Legal References: Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, 20 U.S.C. 1400 et seq.; 49 U.S.C. 30125, 30165; G.S. 115C-239, -242, -243, -247, -254; G.S. 66-58(c)(9a) and (9b); Policies Governing Services for Children with Disabilities, State Board of Education Policy GCS-D-000; State Board of Education policies TCS-H-000, -006; Memorandum to All Superintendents from Eddie M. Speas, Jr., Special Deputy Attorney General, January 14, 1988
Cross References: School Trips (policy 3320), Goals of Student Transportation Services (policy 6300), Safety and Student Transportation Services (policy 6305), Transportation Service/Vehicle Contracts (policy 6340)
Adopted: March 12, 2013, Revised September 9, 2013