TUITION FOR DISCRETIONARY ADMISSIONS Policy Code: 4135
Tuition will be charged to students admitted under board policy 4130, if the student (1) is not domiciled in the State or (2) is domiciled in the State and residing outside of the school district. Tuition will equal the local per pupil allocation for current expense as provided by the board of commissioners from the preceding year. Tuition may be waived if the student meets one of the following criteria:
- A student who is admitted to the school district pursuant to an agreement between this board and another board of education, where the agreement specifies that the payment of tuition by the individual will not be required.
- A student who resides on a military base within North Carolina, where federal funds designed to compensate for the impact on public schools of military dependent students are provided to the school district in an amount not less than fifty percent of the total per capita cost for education, exclusive of capital outlay and debt service.
- A student who demonstrates extraordinary financial hardship.
- Nonresident students of the school district whose parents moved or plan to move into the school district on or before March 1, may be assigned at the beginning of the school year to the school serving the pupil's new residence upon pro-rata payment of tuition.
- A student whose legal residence was located inside the boundaries of the school district and who, during the school year, moves into the boundaries of another school district will be eligible for continued enrollment during the school year upon pro-rata payment of tuition.
- Students whose parent(s) are employed by the school district and who are enrolled at the school or feeder school where their parents work. Transportation for these students will not be provided.
Students not domiciled with their legal guardian in Chatham County, who as of November 28, 2005, were currently enrolled in the Chatham County Schools and remain continuously enrolled, may continue at their current school and its feeder schools until the students exit the feeder system for their current school. Tuition for these students and their siblings will be set at $500 per year.
Children of employees will carry the employee benefit with them through the feeder system associated with the site of employment for the parent.
Tuition will not be charged to students who are domiciliaries of the State and who reside in the school district. However, the board may enter an agreement with the board of education of the student's domicile for payment of tuition by that board.
Legal References: G.S. 115C-366 to -366.2
Cross References: Discretionary Admissions or Releases (policy 4130)
Adopted: June 17, 1997
Revised: November 28, 2005; August 28, 2006