MAINTENANCE AND CONTROL OF INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS Policy Code: 3240
In an effort to reduce educational costs and to promote individual responsibility for public property, the board establishes the following rules in regard to the maintenance and control of instructional materials. Instructional materials may include, but not limited too, textbooks, calculators, computers, software, instructional kits, musical instruments and athletic equipment.
- All students will be issued the necessary instructional materials for their coursework free of charge.
- Receipted records will be kept on all instructional materials issued to students indicating the condition of the material at the time it was issued (new, good, fair, etc.).
- Instructional personnel will emphasize to students their responsibility to maintain materials in good condition.
- Students who lose or fail to return issued instructional material will be charged the cost of the material before a replacement will be issued.
- Students who return instructional material in such condition as to make it unusable for another student will be charged for replacing it.
- Parents or guardians will be notified of the student’s responsibility to care for materials properly and of the parents’ or guardians’ responsibility to pay for any materials which are lost or appreciably damaged.
Legal References: G.S. 115C-99, -100
Adopted: January 16, 1996
Revised: November 26, 2007